Tdap Titer FAQ
What is a Tdap titer?
Why is a Tdap titer important?
What type of specimen will I submit?
Do I need to fast to take this test?
How long does it take to get test results?
Accesa Labs does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All users should consult with a medical provider for specific health concerns.
Tdap Blood Test - More Information
The Tdap titer, also known as a Tdap blood test, Tdap lab test and Tdap immunity test, checks for Tdap IgG antibodies in the blood.
Tdap stands for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. The Tdap vaccine protects against these three diseases and has largely replaced the Td vaccine as the standard in immunization schedules given the added protection that it offers in a single dose. The Tdap blood test - consisting of the tetanus and diphtheria titer and the pertussis titer - helps evaluate immunity to Tdap by checking whether the immune system is producing Tdap IgG antibodies in the blood.
To get a Tdap titer near you, order online and get tested at the Quest Diagnostics lab that you selected. Once your Tdap lab test report is ready, it will be available for download. As can be seen on the sample Tdap lab report above, the components of the Tdap will report IgG antibody blood levels as numbers which can be compared against the reference range provided by the lab. This Tdap lab test provides quantitative IgG antibody results and a positive Tdap antibody results typically means that one is considered immune to the individual component(s) of Tdap.
The Tdap titer is frequently ordered by students and healthcare workers who need to demonstrated Tdap immunity before entering a hospital or other healthcare setting. One other reason while some people prefer the Tdap antibody titer over getting revaccinated with the Tdap immunization is that the Tdap vaccine is quite painful when administered. Some describe the feeling of the Tdap vaccination as being punched in the arm which makes getting the Tdap blood test alternative more palatable for demonstrating immunity. For compliance reasons, the Tdap blood test is frequently ordered with the hepatitis B titer, MMR titer, and varicella titer as well as the QuantiFERON-Gold TB blood test.
Sometimes, Tdap and DTaP are acronyms that are used interchangeably to represent the combination of blood tests or vaccines representing tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis but that is not entirely accurate. In the medical world, DTaP typically refers to the DTaP vaccine which is given to younger children. On the other hand, Tdap usually refers to the Tdap vaccine which is given to children over the age of 11 and adults. Because the Tdap and DTaP vaccines are slightly different, they should be thought of differently.
Tdap Titer - Additional Resources1. Hardy-Fairbanks AJ, Pan SJ et al. 2013. "Immune responses in infants whose mothers received Tdap vaccine during pregnancy. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 32(11):1257-1260. pubmed
2. Healy CM, Rench MA et al. 2013. "Importance of timing of maternal combined tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis (Tdap) immunization and protection of young infants." Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):539-544. pubmed
3. Munoz FM, Bond NH et al. 2014. "Safety and immunogenicity of tetanus diphtheria and acellular pertussis (Tdap) immunization during pregnancy in mothers and infants: a randomized clinical trial." JAMA 311(17): 1760-1769. pubmed
4. Abu Raya B, Srugo I et al. 2014. "The effect of timing of maternal tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis (Tdap) immunization during pregnancy on newborn pertussis antibody levels - a prospective study." Vaccine 32(44):5787-5793. pubmed
5. American Academy of Pediatrics. 2006. "Prevention of pertussis among adolescents: recommendations for use of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid, and acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine.." Pediatrics 117(3):965-978. pubmed
- A doctor's lab order
- 24 / 7 order processing
- Access to 1000+ Quest labs
- All lab test fees
- A PDF copy of your test results
- Responsive customer service